Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Need a pair of 811b horns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member Nickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Need a pair of 811b horns

    Ok I have decided to take the Altec road and build a replica pair of M19's. Going to stay to spec and use new GPA drivers and crossovers. The biggest hurdle it seems is finding a pair of clean 811b horns for a reasonable price. Any one have an extra set they woul be willing to part with?
    Thanks, Nick

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    Best bet, of course, is ebay. There's a nice pair on there now.

    Altec Lansing 811B Horn | eBay

    No affiliation, no interest.

    GeeDeeEmm

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member Nickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    Thanks gdmoore,

    I am bidding on that pair.

    I will post this weekend if I am the proud new owner.

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member Nickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    Well, haven't bought anything from e bay in quite some time. The prices for anything "vintage" are insane. But, on the bright side I should have a decent pair of 811b's in a week or so.

    Next decision, plywood or particle board enclosures. I understand earlier Altec's were plywood then they switched to particle board to save money. Any opinions on which is preferred for authentic Altec sound?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Need a pair of 811b horns


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
    Well, haven't bought anything from e bay in quite some time. The prices for anything "vintage" are insane. But, on the bright side I should have a decent pair of 811b's in a week or so.

    Next decision, plywood or particle board enclosures. I understand earlier Altec's were plywood then they switched to particle board to save money. Any opinions on which is preferred for authentic Altec sound?
    if you mean the ones on ebay, they do look great.
    Sonic Barbarian

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member 604man's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2009
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
    Well, haven't bought anything from e bay in quite some time. The prices for anything "vintage" are insane. But, on the bright side I should have a decent pair of 811b's in a week or so.

    Next decision, plywood or particle board enclosures. I understand earlier Altec's were plywood then they switched to particle board to save money. Any opinions on which is preferred for authentic Altec sound?
    I would use Baltic birch or Apple birch plywood ....This type of plywood is furniture grade plywood , high quality, easy to work with and you wont regret it.

    The Baltic Birch i used has 13 plys for 3/4 inch plywood.......GC

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    Have you accumulated any other parts like woofers, drivers, etc?
    Also, is your listening space large enough to accommodate a larger enclosure? The MLTL enclosures GM designed for me are far superior to the original M19 box. The low end digs deeper and the 100 hz bounce is history. This enclosure is the same footprint as the original M19 but is twice the height.

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    Need a pair of 811b horns


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    NickD please post these wanted ads in the Marketplace sticky thread at the top of page... Thanks so much.

    BTW- Welcome to the Board ! And good luck with your project looking forward to your build hope you post the progression..

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member Nickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need a pair of 811b horns

    Sorry about the miss placed thread, rookie mistake.

    On a positive note......... My 811 horns arrived this afternoon!
    Over paid on e bay ($280. Shipped)
    They are mint and better than I thought from the pictures. You can't tell by looking at them they are 40 years old at all.

    I called Bill at GPA to order drivers but he was waiting for parts for the 416's. So I'm still a few weeks out.

    More time to study for the build. Also checking into using Jupiter wax/stacked copper caps on the high pass of the GPA crossovers. I don't think they sell the values I need exactly and they are expensive so not sure on that yet...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.